Post 5 – reflective reflections?

• What are 2-3 of the most important ideas that you have studied during this course?

I have explored and critically engaged in the concept(s) of cognitive presence in relation to the COI Framework, along with the topic and concept of ‘feedback’. Approaching these ideas/concepts with a notion to critically engage or interrogate, has facilitated a deeper understanding of the terms, and potential pitfalls.

• What are 2-3 questions that you have as a result of this course? Identify ways that you can begin to answer those questions.

I remain curious about the relation of the some of the concepts explored in this course and the relation back to a ‘student-centred’ approach. I am curious about the notion of cultural presence(s) and whether the COI framework might have some ethnocentric views. I am curious, and exploring more, the notions of what ‘learning’ is and how it is defined. The brain is a deeply complex entity – and, yet, much literature in education may be guilty of speaking in absolutes, or large generalizations.

• Identify 2-3 specific goals that you would like to achieve in light of what you have learned about cognitive presence, approaches to learning, and feedback;

I continue to explore definitions of ‘learning’ in relation to some of this material. I intend to incorporate some of those (e.g. Knud Illeris) into my current doctoral dissertation proposal which is due to be defended in the next 4-8 weeks.